One of the perks of having a winter wedding in Boston, where the temperatures drop and the snow begins to fall, is that your food options are in a completely different realm from the summertime. Instead of worrying whether food is too heavy for a hot summer day, winter brides can revel in the coziness of their season and put comfort food on their menu. The Catered Affair balances flavor and comfort in winter menus to achieve a menu that won’t weigh guests down, but that will appeal to them and warm them on a cold winter’s day.
As you consider planning your winter wedding menu, take inspiration from some of the delightful items we’ve developed for menus for our winter brides and events.
Explore Alternatives to Chicken and Fish
These lighter protein options are popular for spring and summer events, but winter lends itself to a richer choice. Some of our favorites include:
- An appetizer of smoked duck on herb buttermilk biscuit with cranberry compote
- For the vegetarians, a starter with rich grilled portobello mushrooms on crostini with a shallot balsamic reduction
- A casual, yet delicious, hors d’oeuvre of beef short rib sliders with micro arugla and truffle fondue
- Small plates such as spice braised short ribs with parsnip puree or peking duck with mandarin pancakes
- Main courses like hot smoked rosemary and cider planked salmon with roasted Lady apples and calvados
- Entrees of maple and pecan crusted rack of veal with red wine and sage
Add Some Spice to Your Night
Heartier menus provide the opportunity to add spiciness to the seasonings. Guests appreciate the warmth from within in a way that they might not on a warmer night. Delicious ways of incorporating heat include:
- Top a rich blue cheese popover with beef and horseradish cream
- Dip salt and pepper roasted jumbo shrimp in spicy bloody Mary cocktail sauce
- Add a light tang to beef with a chili and tangerine lacquer atop a filet of black angus beef and short ribs
Think Back to Childhood
Refine childhood favorites to create fun and elegant bites for your guests. Some of our ideas include:
- Miniature grilled sandwiches with a variety of cheeses and other toppings
- Cheesecake lollipop desserts for a surprising twist on the kids’ favorite
- Milky Way tartlets to remind guests of the candy counter
- Sorbet or ice cream in tiny crisp cones
- Sips of hot chocolate to warm up guests as they depart into the cold winter night
We love planning gorgeous winter weddings in Boston and around Massachusetts at our highlighted venues. Our unique winter wedding ideas create a cohesive look for our brides, from the food to the decor, that provides a warm and cozy respite from the winter cold for guests.